Monday 11 May 2009

Leeds Art Gallery

LEEDS ART GALLERY
I went for a look around the Leeds Art Gallery and took a look at their current exhibition. I think that the pieces are really interesting especially as they were all made of scrap pieces from a junk yard.
I think that the curators have put this exhibition together really well as it flows really nicely and i think that the bright color scheme works well with the pieces as it makes the area seem more playful
rather than it being just a blank white space.


I have seen the engine which was displayed in another gallery space before and it was displayed differently. I think that the piece has totally changed now as it has been attached to a 1960's style chair. This to me now changed the piece to something less interesting. It gave it more shape to it but it distracts the viewer from the engine and focuses more on the chair that it is attached to.I don't really understand why the chair has been attached as i feel it doesn't add to the piece. I wasn't supposed to take photos but i took some sly ones :P








This piece at first i pretty much disguarded until i read the blerb which was written about the piece. Now i like how simple the piece is and yet so easy to disguard in a gallery space as it is just a box of light but the piece has alot more about it than that if you read the blurb above you will see what i mean. I think that this piece is cleverly done how people would not know at all that it had that many colours in the box they would just see what i did a box which changed colour slowly. So even myself a person who would take their time to apreshiate artwork wasent amazed at first. This makes me question myself and other viewers do we have to be impressed by giant sculptures of colourful bright things just like on TV? do we flick the channel if we arent immediately gripped by the amazing visuals? Do we disguard and walk past this work if it isnt gripping enough in the first place? and if we do are we missing out or is that the artists intenshon to get our lack of reaction?






This piece i didnt really understand but i liked the composition of the piece and how they used both visuals and sound both from seporate pieces of machinery.





I liked the use of historical art referencing in this work and how they have changed the scale of the work to create a very different looking piece. I thought the textures were interesting too as the paint was dripped onto the piece it created a melted look.








I think the use of materials in these pieces are very good as they are representations of something else made of of things you wouldn't expect. I think that the space monkey below is a fun looking piece made of materials from a skip therefore showing people you can make your cast a way's and left overs into something you would want and would even pay money for! It is quite interesting how you can make money from what people disguard.






No comments:

Post a Comment