Thursday 26 March 2009

Answer to a comment by Gary

Gary B- 'If art is about the human condition, your life experiences could of course be at the centre of what it is to be human. However this needs to be tempered with an awareness of others and how they might receive your work. (Audiences and how to communicate to them) So...where is your work going to be sited and what are the important issues?'
I do believe that alot of art is mainly to do with the human condition as humans are emotional, opnionated, and expressive. I have problems with expressing some of my emotions mainly because of issues i have had in my life. I think that my art work is helping me sortof let out some of these issues i am sortof letting the viewer in but only a certain ammount as obviously im not going to broadcast everything in my head to the world because i just dont particulaly want to. I think that when people see my work they will be probably wondering why is it that she is so upset? and i am going to be including things which are surrounding me at the moment things that make me positive aswell as trying to cover the negatives with colour and happy imagary. I am not wanting to offend people, i am wanting them to possibly have that connection with me as they may too have been through similar things. I am using some of the personal letters that i wrote to my councellor in my work so people can see a certain part of me and possibly an explanation of both the work and of my current state of mind. It is quite brave of me to do this as they are things that litrally only myself and my councellor have seen. I dont think that my work would possibly be able to offend people, unless it was the person who viewed it who was part of what inspired me to create it. but in that case i dont really care as they should know already.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see you reflecting on this. Tracy Emin plays out the role of both subject and therapist in her work. You might not like her art work but she has engaged a very wide audience with her practice. For instance she writes for the Independent Newspaper. http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/tracey-emin/
    Would you see these writings as art or as editorial? How do you think the Independent readership responds to this?
    You could say that this type of engagement is a type of Expressionism. One definition of which is an artistic movement in which the artist attempts to depict not objective reality but rather the subjective emotions and responses that objects and events arouse in him or her. If so the key issue is perhaps that art requires a communication by the artist that is manifested in the art object. If this is the case one test of successful art is whether the artist effectively communicates that feeling to the audience. Or can there be such a thing as a private language? The private language argument is a philosophical argument introduced by Ludwig Wittgenstein in his later work, especially in his book Philosophical Investigations.

    ReplyDelete