Thursday 26 March 2009

Just a thaught..

Pet shop boy's lyrics.
'Boy it's tough getting on in the world when the sun doesn't shine and a boy needs a girl it's about getting out of a rut, you need luck and your stuck and don't know how' ( i also added this on the end..to get out of this hole!)
I felt that these lyrics really did kindof explain alot of how i feel at the moment and i just felt that i had to use them in my work. I was thinking though, if the lyrics i have used on the pieces ive done ever were to be sold or displayed somewhere would i then have to give royalties to the pet shop boys as they are their lyrics? Or am i just being a bit odd in thinking that? because its not like i was using thier actiual song or trying to pass it off as my own. so would i then have to include it in the discription of what the piece was made from,
eg:
'Wood, Spray paint, Glow in the dark paint, Household gloss paint, Oil pastels, Pet shop boy's Love Est lyrics.'

4 comments:

  1. Just about The Pet Shop Boys really...probably considered quite cheesy etc but I heard the intro to West End Girls once as my train started to move out of Leeds station...at that moment it sounded amazing : )
    I'm pretty sure you can do what you want with those lyrics, I've seen many artists use bits of lyrics or song titles as titles for their pieces & I have done that in the past. In Berlin one of those small galleries had a piece that had Disturbed (ha) lyrics scrawled on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way of avoiding the royalty issue is to sing these songs yourself. By doing this you personalise them, it could make it seem as if these are how the songs in your head could be realised. Popular music is an important part of the texture of our society and I'm sure you could embed it in what you are doing. Because most people have some sort of relationship to music this could be a very direct way to engage your audience. I agree with JH just do what you want with the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a nice idea to use the lyrics as a material, almost. There's something quite unique about it. If you state that they are used then there will be probably be no problems arising i should think...unless have petshop boys have a 24/7 watch on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha yeah i think ill just use them its not like the pet shop boys are gunna have spies out on me :P

    ReplyDelete